These chicken satay skewers are the best. Honestly, you can eat these anytime!
It has a simple marinate and you have it on the table in less than 15 minutes. So a quick and simple recipe. Are you ready to see how to make chicken satay? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
Chicken satay is such a great recipe and really belongs on a bistro menu. Served with prawn crackers, crispy oven fries and of cause peanut satay sauce.
But the origin of satay lays in Indonesia Southeast-Asia but you can find it in lots of surrounding countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Singapore but also in China.
Every country has it’s own version and that is the beauty of satay you can make it totally your own.
Chicken satay is most likely the most popular but also pork satay or beef satay. If you are a vegetarian you can try tofu or tempeh satay.
If you are making satay you have to grill it on a barbecue or on an open fire. Of course, you can make it in a grill pan or underneath the broiler.
But this dish tastes so much better when it’s grilled.
Chicken satay ingredients
To make satay skewers you need only a couple of things. Put the following ingredients on your grocery shopping list:
- Bamboo skewers
- Chicken filets or chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Sweet soy sauce
How to store satay
Satay is a great recipe to make ahead of time. If you are eating it the same evening you can keep it outside of the fridge.
You can further store it:
- Fridge – if you are eating satay within 2 to 3 days you can keep it covered in the fridge. Put it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out
- Freezer – you can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Again store it in a freezer friendly airtight container
Thaw first before you warm the satay in the oven or grill pan until warm.
Serve satay with
Of course, you have to serve chicken satay with peanut satay sauce but you can add other side dishes like:
- French baguette – slice the bread in thin slices and serve with the satay and sauce
- Crispy oven frites – are great to serve with this satay
- Fried rice or basmati rice – satay and rice, whether fried or just plain is the perfect companion for this dish
- Noodles – another great combination to serve chicken satay with is noodles or Pad Thai. Cook the noodles and pan-fry them with vegetables in a wok
- Prawn crackers – great snack to serve with chicken satay
Try this chicken satay recipe I’m certain you will love it as much as I do!